The Global Compact offers internship opportunities in its New York office. The Global Compact Office is the UN entity responsible for the overall management and coordination of the Global Compact initiative:.
The Global Compact pursues two complementary objectives:
(1) making the Global Compact and its principles part of business strategy and operations everywhere; and
(2) facilitating cooperation among key stakeholders by promoting partnerships and other collective action in support of UN goals.
To promote its 10 Principles and Action Platforms, the Global Compact also undertakes work on a range of corporate sustainability issues. Official UN Global Compact internships are offered for a minimum of 3 months, with a possibility of extension to 6 months. The internship is UNPAID and full-time. Interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a relevant staff member of the UN Global Compact.
This job opening is for the October-December 2019 Global Compact Internship cycle.
Under the UN Global Compact Communications and Events team, and depending on their level of experience and training, selected interns will:
-Research and analyze relating to the topic of corporate sustainability;
-Draft and edit publications, papers and other documents;
-Liaise with UN Global Compact stakeholders on key corporate sustainability topics;
-Support the organization of meetings and events;
-Assist with outreach activities;
-Provide general support to the Strategic Events Unit in preparation for the Leaders Summit 2020 events;
-Assist in drafting agendas, programmes and strategic event narratives;
-Provide input to the development of digital marketing campaigns, registration reminders and targeted email outreach;
-Support high-level speaker engagement, drafting invitations and tracking follow up;
-Draft detailed speaker briefing notes;
-Assisting with strategic messaging and other communications projects as required
- Communication: Ability to draft clearly and concisely, good written and oral language skills.
- Teamwork: Good interpersonal skills, ability to work collaboratively with colleagues from different national and cultural backgrounds to achieve organizational goals.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be ‘clients’ and seeks to see things from clients’s point of view.
To qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
- Applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
(a) be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
(b) be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); or
(c) have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one year period of graduation;
- Be computer literate in standard software applications;
- Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the programme.
Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Potential candidates will be contacted by hiring manager directly for further consideration
A completed online application (Cover Note and Personal History Profile) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The Cover Note must include:
- Degree Programme (What are you currently studying?)
- Graduation Date (When will you graduate or when did you graduate from the last programme you were (are) enrolled in?)
- List the IT skills and programmes you are proficient in.
- List your top three areas of interest in the UN Global Compact.
- Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship.
In your online Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences, IT skills, and three references.
Due to the high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.